Security News > 2021 > August > Hacker Dubbed 'Mr White Hat' to Return Entire Stolen Crypto Fortune
A firm specializing in transferring cryptocurrency said Thursday that a hacker they are calling "Mr White Hat" was giving back all $613 million in digital loot from a record haul.
The hacker said the heist was pulled "For fun" to expose a flaw that could have cost Poly Network dearly and undermined faith in cryptocurrencies.
The return of the digital loot came as the thief was tracked by "White hat" hackers who use their software skills for good.
The heist had sparked debate about whether it would be fair to let the hacker keep some of the loot as reward for uncovering a Poly Network security weakness.
Early on, Poly Network threatened police involvement, but also offered the hacker a chance to "Work out a solution."
The purported hacker said in the post that returning the digital haul was always the plan.
- Hackers hijack govt and business accounts on X for crypto scams (source)
- Hacker spins up 1 million virtual servers to illegally mine crypto (source)
- Hackers Weaponize Windows Flaw to Deploy Crypto-Siphoning Phemedrone Stealer (source)
- Hackers steal $290 million in crypto from PlayDapp gaming platform (source)
- Hackers mint 1.79 billion crypto tokens from PlayDapp gaming platform (source)
- North Korean hackers now launder stolen crypto via YoMix tumbler (source)