Security News > 2020 > November > Baltimore students told to ditch Windows PCs after ransomware attack

Baltimore County Public Schools urged students and staff to stop using their school-issued Windows computers and only use Chromebooks and Google accounts following a ransomware attack that hit the district's network last Wednesday.
The Baltimore County school district is in charge of all public schools in Baltimore County, Maryland, and it is the 25th largest U.S. school system.
"Due to the recent ransomware attack, Baltimore County Public Schools will be closed for students on Monday, November 30, and Tuesday, December 1," the district said.
The Baltimore County school district disclosed the ransomware attack on November 25th, with the district's Chief of Staff, Mychael Dickerson, confirming that the public school district's offices, website, email system, and grading system were all impacted.
This is the third ransomware attack in the last three years affecting a Baltimore organization after Baltimore City Hall had its servers encrypted in a RobbinHood ransomware attack in May 2019 and Baltimore city's emergency call system was taken down in March 2018.
News URL
Related news
- US indicts 8Base ransomware operators for Phobos encryption attacks (source)
- RA World Ransomware Attack in South Asia Links to Chinese Espionage Toolset (source)
- Chinese espionage tools deployed in RA World ransomware attack (source)
- Lee Enterprises newspaper disruptions caused by ransomware attack (source)
- Southern Water says Black Basta ransomware attack cost £4.5M in expenses (source)
- Qilin ransomware claims attack at Lee Enterprises, leaks stolen data (source)
- Ransomware gangs exploit Paragon Partition Manager bug in BYOVD attacks (source)
- Hackers Exploit Paragon Partition Manager Driver Vulnerability in Ransomware Attacks (source)
- Hunters International ransomware claims attack on Tata Technologies (source)
- Toronto Zoo shares update on last year's ransomware attack (source)