Security News > 2020 > November > Canon publicly confirms August ransomware attack, data theft

Canon has finally confirmed publicly that the cyberattack suffered in early August was caused by ransomware and that the hackers stole data from company servers.
In a public announcement on Wednesday evening, Canon says that the data accessed by the attacker included employees' names, Social Security number, date of birth, the number for the driver's license number or government-issued ID, the bank account number for direct deposits from Canon, and their electronic signature.
Shortly after the attack, Maze ransomware told BleepingComputer that they had stolen from Canon 10 terabytes of data and private databases before detonating the file-encrypting malware on August 5.
Canon issue and the general Canon USA outage caused by the attack were unrelated.
While it took three months to confirm the ransomware attack publicly, Canon admitted the nature of the security incident to its employees in an internal security notice on August 6.
News URL
Related news
- US indicts 8Base ransomware operators for Phobos encryption attacks (source)
- RA World Ransomware Attack in South Asia Links to Chinese Espionage Toolset (source)
- Chinese espionage tools deployed in RA World ransomware attack (source)
- Lee Enterprises newspaper disruptions caused by ransomware attack (source)
- Southern Water says Black Basta ransomware attack cost £4.5M in expenses (source)
- Qilin ransomware claims attack at Lee Enterprises, leaks stolen data (source)
- Ransomware gangs exploit Paragon Partition Manager bug in BYOVD attacks (source)
- Hackers Exploit Paragon Partition Manager Driver Vulnerability in Ransomware Attacks (source)
- Hunters International ransomware claims attack on Tata Technologies (source)
- Toronto Zoo shares update on last year's ransomware attack (source)