Vulnerabilities > CVE-2007-5910 - Improper Restriction of Operations Within the Bounds of A Memory Buffer vulnerability in multiple products
Stack-based buffer overflow in Autonomy (formerly Verity) KeyView Viewer, Filter, and Export SDK before 126.96.36.199, as used by ActivePDF DocConverter, wp6sr.dll in IBM Lotus Notes 8.0 and before 7.0.3, Symantec Mail Security, and other products, allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted WordPerfect (WPD) file.
Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE)
Common Attack Pattern Enumeration and Classification (CAPEC)
- Buffer Overflow via Environment Variables This attack pattern involves causing a buffer overflow through manipulation of environment variables. Once the attacker finds that they can modify an environment variable, they may try to overflow associated buffers. This attack leverages implicit trust often placed in environment variables.
- Overflow Buffers Buffer Overflow attacks target improper or missing bounds checking on buffer operations, typically triggered by input injected by an attacker. As a consequence, an attacker is able to write past the boundaries of allocated buffer regions in memory, causing a program crash or potentially redirection of execution as per the attackers' choice.
- Client-side Injection-induced Buffer Overflow This type of attack exploits a buffer overflow vulnerability in targeted client software through injection of malicious content from a custom-built hostile service.
- Filter Failure through Buffer Overflow In this attack, the idea is to cause an active filter to fail by causing an oversized transaction. An attacker may try to feed overly long input strings to the program in an attempt to overwhelm the filter (by causing a buffer overflow) and hoping that the filter does not fail securely (i.e. the user input is let into the system unfiltered).
- MIME Conversion An attacker exploits a weakness in the MIME conversion routine to cause a buffer overflow and gain control over the mail server machine. The MIME system is designed to allow various different information formats to be interpreted and sent via e-mail. Attack points exist when data are converted to MIME compatible format and back.
|description||The version of Lotus Notes installed on the remote Windows host is reportedly affected by several buffer overflows in its file attachment viewer when handling attachments of various types. By sending a specially crafted attachment to users of the affected application and getting them to double-click and view the attachment, an attacker may be able to execute arbitrary code subject to the privileges under which the affected application runs. It is also affected by another buffer overflow vulnerability in the TagAttributeListCopy function in|
|reporter||This script is Copyright (C) 2007-2018 Tenable Network Security, Inc.|
|title||Lotus Notes Client < 7.0.3 / 8.0.1 Multiple Overflows|
bid 26175 description Lotus Notes WPD attachment viewer buffer overflow id mail_client_noteswpd osvdb 40783 title lotus_notes_wpd_viewer type client bid 26175 description Lotus Notes MIF attachment viewer buffer overflow id mail_client_noteswpd osvdb 40791 title lotus_notes_mif_viewer type client