Security News > 2020 > August > China slams President Trump's TikTok banned-or-be-bought plan in the US

China has accused the US of abusing its national security laws to target Chinese companies after Washington threatened to ban video-sharing app TikTok from its shores last week.
On Saturday, the Trump administration vowed to "Close down" the Chinese-owned video-sharing app unless it is bought by a "Very American" company within 45 days.
China hit back at a press conference on Tuesday, where Wang Wenbin, the spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry of Affairs, said: "For a while, without providing any evidence, the United States has stretched the concept of national security and abused its state power to bring down certain non-US enterprises."
Microsoft has promised a "Complete security review" of the company and to implement a "World-class security, privacy, and digital safety protections" if the deal goes through.
China, which has made access to Facebook, Google, and Twitter all-but-impossible for the better part of a decade, argues that Washington's heavy-handedness lays bare "The hypocrisy of the so-called fair competition touted by the United States" and has called for the Trump administration to "Refrain from politicizing economic issues".
News URL
https://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.com/2020/08/05/china_slams_tiktok_trump_plan/
Related news
- Judge says US Treasury ‘more vulnerable to hacking’ since Trump let the DOGE out (source)
- US lawmakers press Trump admin to oppose UK's order for Apple iCloud backdoor (source)
- US Dept of Housing screens sabotaged to show deepfake of Trump sucking Elon's toes (source)
- China's Silk Typhoon, tied to US Treasury break-in, now hammers IT and govt targets (source)
- Feds name and charge alleged Silk Typhoon spies behind years of China-on-US attacks (source)
- US tech jobs outlook clouded by DOGE cuts, Trump tariffs (source)
- China’s FamousSparrow flies back into action, breaches US org after years off the radar (source)