Vulnerabilities > CVE-2015-2511 - Improper Restriction of Operations within the Bounds of a Memory Buffer vulnerability in Microsoft products
The kernel-mode driver in Microsoft Windows Vista SP2, Windows Server 2008 SP2 and R2 SP1, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 Gold and R2, Windows RT Gold and 8.1, and Windows 10 allows local users to gain privileges via a crafted application, aka "Win32k Memory Corruption Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability," a different vulnerability than CVE-2015-2517, CVE-2015-2518, and CVE-2015-2546.
Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE)
Common Attack Pattern Enumeration and Classification (CAPEC)
- Buffer Overflow via Environment Variables This attack pattern involves causing a buffer overflow through manipulation of environment variables. Once the attacker finds that they can modify an environment variable, they may try to overflow associated buffers. This attack leverages implicit trust often placed in environment variables.
- Overflow Buffers Buffer Overflow attacks target improper or missing bounds checking on buffer operations, typically triggered by input injected by an attacker. As a consequence, an attacker is able to write past the boundaries of allocated buffer regions in memory, causing a program crash or potentially redirection of execution as per the attackers' choice.
- Client-side Injection-induced Buffer Overflow This type of attack exploits a buffer overflow vulnerability in targeted client software through injection of malicious content from a custom-built hostile service.
- Filter Failure through Buffer Overflow In this attack, the idea is to cause an active filter to fail by causing an oversized transaction. An attacker may try to feed overly long input strings to the program in an attempt to overwhelm the filter (by causing a buffer overflow) and hoping that the filter does not fail securely (i.e. the user input is let into the system unfiltered).
- MIME Conversion An attacker exploits a weakness in the MIME conversion routine to cause a buffer overflow and gain control over the mail server machine. The MIME system is designed to allow various different information formats to be interpreted and sent via e-mail. Attack points exist when data are converted to MIME compatible format and back.
|description||Windows Kernel - FlashWindowEx Memory Corruption (MS15-097). CVE-2015-2511. Dos exploit for win32 platform|
|title||Windows Kernel - FlashWindowEx Memory Corruption MS15-097|
|impact||Remote Code Execution|
|title||Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Graphics Component Could Allow Remote Code Execution|
|NASL family||Windows : Microsoft Bulletins|
|description||The remote Windows host is missing a security update. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities : - An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in the Windows Adobe Type Manager Library due to improper handling of specially crafted OpenType fonts. An authenticated, remote attacker can exploit this vulnerability, via a specially crafted application, to elevate privileges and execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2015-2506) - Multiple elevation of privilege vulnerabilities exist in the Windows Adobe Type Manager Library due to improper handling of objects in memory. A local attacker can exploit these vulnerabilities, via a specially crafted application, to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2015-2507, CVE-2015-2508, CVE-2015-2512) - A remote code execution vulnerability exists in components of Windows, Office, and Lync due to improper handling of specially crafted OpenType fonts. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this vulnerability by convincing a user to open a file or visit a website containing specially crafted OpenType fonts, resulting in execution of arbitrary code in the context of the current user. (CVE-2015-2510) - Multiple elevation of privilege vulnerabilities exist in the Windows kernel-mode driver due to improper handling of objects in memory. A local attacker can exploit these vulnerabilities, via a specially crafted application, to execute arbitrary code in kernel mode. (CVE-2015-2511, CVE-2015-2517, CVE-2015-2518, CVE-2015-2546) - An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in the Windows kernel-mode driver due to improper validation and enforcement of integrity levels during certain process initialization scenarios. A local attacker can exploit this vulnerability, via a specially crafted application, to execute arbitrary code in kernel mode. (CVE-2015-2527) - A security feature bypass vulnerability exists due to a failure by the Windows kernel to properly initialize a memory address. A local attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted application, to bypass Kernel Address Space Layout Randomization (KASLR) and retrieve the base address of the kernel driver. (CVE-2015-2529)|
|reporter||This script is Copyright (C) 2015-2018 Tenable Network Security, Inc.|
|title||MS15-097: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Graphics Component Could Allow Remote Code Execution (3089656)|