Vulnerabilities > CVE-2008-5403 - Improper Restriction of Operations Within the Bounds of A Memory Buffer vulnerability in multiple products
Heap-based buffer overflow in the XML parser in the AIM plugin in Trillian before 126.96.36.199 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a malformed XML tag.
Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE)
Common Attack Pattern Enumeration and Classification (CAPEC)
- Buffer Overflow via Environment Variables This attack pattern involves causing a buffer overflow through manipulation of environment variables. Once the attacker finds that they can modify an environment variable, they may try to overflow associated buffers. This attack leverages implicit trust often placed in environment variables.
- Overflow Buffers Buffer Overflow attacks target improper or missing bounds checking on buffer operations, typically triggered by input injected by an attacker. As a consequence, an attacker is able to write past the boundaries of allocated buffer regions in memory, causing a program crash or potentially redirection of execution as per the attackers' choice.
- Client-side Injection-induced Buffer Overflow This type of attack exploits a buffer overflow vulnerability in targeted client software through injection of malicious content from a custom-built hostile service.
- Filter Failure through Buffer Overflow In this attack, the idea is to cause an active filter to fail by causing an oversized transaction. An attacker may try to feed overly long input strings to the program in an attempt to overwhelm the filter (by causing a buffer overflow) and hoping that the filter does not fail securely (i.e. the user input is let into the system unfiltered).
- MIME Conversion An attacker exploits a weakness in the MIME conversion routine to cause a buffer overflow and gain control over the mail server machine. The MIME system is designed to allow various different information formats to be interpreted and sent via e-mail. Attack points exist when data are converted to MIME compatible format and back.
|description||The version of Trillian installed on the remote host reportedly contains several vulnerabilities : - A stack-based buffer overflow in the tool tip processing code could allow an unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code with client privileges on the remote system. (ZDI-08-077) - A vulnerability in the XML processing code responsible for handling specially formulated XML could lead to arbitrary code execution on the remote system. (ZDI-08-078) - A vulnerability in XML processing code responsible for handling malformed XML tags could lead to arbitrary code execution on the remote system. (ZDI-08-079)|
|reporter||This script is Copyright (C) 2008-2018 Tenable Network Security, Inc.|
|title||Trillian < 188.8.131.52 Multiple Vulnerabilities|