Security News > 2023 > September > Associated Press warns that AP Stylebook data breach led to phishing attack
The Associated Press is warning of a data breach impacting AP Stylebook customers where the attackers used the stolen data to conduct targeted phishing attacks.
This week, the Associated press warns that an old third-party-managed AP Stylebook site that was no longer in use was hacked between July 16 and July 22, 2023, allowing the data for 224 customers to be stolen.
The AP says they first learned of the possible data breach on July 20, 2023, after AP Stylebook customers reported receiving phishing emails stating they needed to update their credit card information.
After learning of the phishing attack, the AP took the old site and phishing offline to prevent further attacks.
The Associated Press also requires all AP Stylebook customers to reset their passwords on the next login.
BleepingComputer contacted the Associated Press to learn more about the phishing attack and will update this article if we learn more.
- D-Link confirms data breach after employee phishing attack (source)
- D-Link Confirms Data Breach: Employee Falls Victim to Phishing Attack (source)
- ASVEL basketball team confirms data breach after ransomware attack (source)
- Norton Healthcare discloses data breach after May ransomware attack (source)
- D-Link clears up 'exaggerations' around data breach (source)
- Casio discloses data breach impacting customers in 149 countries (source)
- City of Philadelphia discloses data breach after five months (source)
- Okta data breach exposed personal information of employees (source)
- Okta hit by third-party data breach exposing employee information (source)
- Okta's Recent Customer Support Data Breach Impacted 134 Customers (source)