Security News > 2023 > May > The Week in Ransomware - May 26th 2023 - Cities Under Attack
Ransomware gangs continue to hammer local governments in attacks, taking down IT systems and disrupting city's online services.
Today, the BlackByte ransomware operation claimed responsibility for the attack on Augusta, leaking data that they claim was stolen during the attack.
Finally, ransomware affiliate Bassterlord released a "Slightly" edited but highly sought-after version of his ransomware manual version 2.0 that was being sold for $10,000 on hacker forums.
May 23rd 2023 A Deep Dive into Medusa Ransomware IT employee impersonates ransomware gang to extort employer.
May 24th 2023 Iranian hackers use new Moneybird ransomware to attack Israeli orgs.
A new ransomware operation named 'Buhti' uses the leaked code of the LockBit and Babuk ransomware families to target Windows and Linux systems, respectively.
- Medusa ransomware claims attack on Open University of Cyprus (source)
- MSI confirms security breach following ransomware attack claims (source)
- Iran-Based Hackers Caught Carrying Out Destructive Attacks Under Ransomware Guise (source)
- Taiwanese PC Company MSI Falls Victim to Ransomware Attack (source)
- KFC, Pizza Hut owner discloses data breach after ransomware attack (source)
- Windows zero-day vulnerability exploited in ransomware attacks (source)
- Vice Society ransomware uses new PowerShell data theft tool in attacks (source)
- Hackers start abusing Action1 RMM in ransomware attacks (source)
- NCR suffers Aloha POS outage after BlackCat ransomware attack (source)
- March 2023 broke ransomware attack records with 459 incidents (source)