Security News > 2022 > May > Engineering firm Parker discloses data breach after ransomware attack
The Parker-Hannifin Corporation announced a data breach exposing employees' personal information after the Conti ransomware gang began publishing allegedly stolen data last month.
The subsequent investigation determined that threat actors had exfiltrated specific files from the firm's computers, so Parker immediately informed the law enforcement authorities of the data breach.
Upon reviewing the stolen files, Parker determined that stolen data included information related to current and former employees enrolled in Parker's Group Health Plans and their dependents.
While Parker-Hannifin did not disclose who attacked them in April, the Conti ransomware group claimed responsibility on April 1, 2022, when the notorious gang published 3% of the data that they allegedly stole during their attack.
A data breach on the firm's systems might have compromised technical details and schematics that are worth a lot in engineering circles and could help competitors leap forward using stolen R&D. At this time, we don't know if Conti accessed technical data or if the breach was limited to employee details, but similar data has been stolen in previous attacks.
Bleeping Computer has emailed Parker-Hannifin to determine the number of impacted individuals and clarify if technical data was also stolen in the incident, but a spokesperson of the firm declined to comment.
- US agricultural machinery maker AGCO hit by ransomware attack (source)
- Costa Rica declares national emergency after Conti ransomware attacks (source)
- Colonial Pipeline faces nearly $1m fine one year after ransomware attack (source)
- Lincoln College to close after 157 years due ransomware attack (source)
- Conti Ransomware Attack Spurs State of Emergency in Costa Rica (source)
- Iranian Hackers Leveraging BitLocker and DiskCryptor in Ransomware Attacks (source)
- Higher education institutions being targeted for ransomware attacks (source)
- QNAP alerts NAS customers of new DeadBolt ransomware attacks (source)
- Media giant Nikkei’s Asian unit hit by ransomware attack (source)
- QNAP Urges Users to Update NAS Devices to Prevent Deadbolt Ransomware Attacks (source)